This is a really easy dish to make (perfect for a weeknight) and the sweetness of the curry sauce means that the kids love it! This is slightly adapted from Joe Wicks’ Lean in 15 (got to love a bit of Lean in 15!)
You will need:
- Spray oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2tbsp dairy free medium curry powder
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 400ml water
- 4 chicken breasts
- 300g breadcrumbs
- 2tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 150ml apple juice
- 1 egg (whisked)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Rice or noodles to serve (I used frozen microwavable rice)
- sliced red chillis to serve.
Let’s Cook It!
- Turn the oven to 200 degrees
- In a pan heat some of the spray oil and fry the onion until it is soft.
- Add the celery and coriander and cook for a further minute.
- Add the curry powder and a pinch of the salt and pepper, along with the water with the stock cube.
- Bring to the boil and simmer on low for 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile place the chicken breasts in between 2 pieces of cling film and give them a good bash with a rolling pin to flatten them out so that they have an even thickness all over (about 2cm)
- Dip each chicken breast in the whisked egg
- Place the breadcrumbs and minced garlic in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the breadcrumb mix.
- Place each of the chicken breasts on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 25/30 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking take the sauce off the heat and blend until smooth with a stick blender. Stir in the sugar and apple juice and return to the heat to simmer.
- Add the cornflour to a small amount of cold water to make thick paste and add to the sauce. Give it a good stir – this will thicken the sauce.
- When the chicken is cooked (make sure it is cooked through by cutting one of the breasts in half) slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- Serve on rice with a good dollop of the sauce and some of the chillis sprinkled on top if you want!