This is BEAUTIFUL … I can’t really say any more than that! A jar of this never lasts long in our house!
You will need:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 lemons, zested and juiced
- 113g of pure (dairy-free spread)
Let’s Cook It!
- Put a medium-sized pan on the hob with about 1inch of water. Heat the water until it is simmering.
- Whilst the water is heating up mix the egg yolks and sugar with a whisk in a metal bowl (Mike says this is very important!) Do this for about a minute, it should become very pale.
- Pour the lemon juice into a measuring cup until it reaches 1/3 cup.
- Add the juice and zest to the egg mixture and give it a whisk until it is nice and smooth.
- Now that the water has reached a simmer, turn down the heat to low and put the metal bowl on top of the saucepan (it should be sitting just above the water line but not touching – again Mike says this is very important!)
- Whisk the mixture until it is thick, this should take about 8 – 10 minutes. It should be a light colour and be able to coat the back of a spoon. It will turn a pale yellow when cooled and thicken a lot more.
- Take off the heat and stir in the Pure a little bit at a time. Make sure each bit melts before you add the next.
- Let it cool. But before it cools completely put it in its storage container (Mike uses a sterilised jar)
- Can be stored for about 2 weeks in the fridge.