My kids LOVE this recipe … I think it is the bright colour and the fact that it has a lovely sticky sweetness. The beauty of this is the longer it cooks for the more gorgeously sticky it becomes (just make sure to watch out for it getting too dry!).
You will need:
- 1 red cabbage finely sliced (core removed)
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 100ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
Let’s Cook It!
- Gently heat the oil in a heavy-based pan
- When sizzling turn down the heat and add the cabbage to gently soften it – you don’t want it to be on too high a heat or it will start to fry
- Add the balsamic vinegar
- Add the brown sugar
- Add enough water to just cover the cabbage
- Give everything a really good stir
- Turn up the heat until it all starts to bubble
- Once it has started to bubble turn the heat down to its lowest and simmer for approx 1.5 – 2 hours …. watching the water level and stirring every now and again.
This can be made ahead and frozen if you are trying to get ahead for Christmas.